Visitors welcomes by The Chris West Blog!

Monday, June 6, 2011

Monday Monday!

I recently took the plunge into the 'Android' phone space. I'm still getting used to it, however, I feel like I have a full-fledged computer in my hands with the device.

Previously, I had a BlackBerry Curve. And I loved my Curve, too. I took the prerequisite year and a half to learn the ins and outs of the BlackBerry OS, and had modded and tricked out the phone so that it could virtually do everything it was capable of doing. Until the little trackball crapped out.

Having spent a year and a half learning how to use it, when I needed a new phone, what did I get? The newer, better version of the Curve, with a touchpad instead of a trackball. And I loved that Curve. Until the sound stopped working and receiving emails and texts became sketchy.

My beautiful wife has the Droid Incredible phone, which she wisely upgraded to from HER Curve, and has loved it to this day. It is a fantastic phone, but I always had issues trying to type on the touchscreen keyboard. My sausage fingers always wanted to push the wrong button, or push two at a time, or push the wrong option. It was infuriating.

Fast-forward to 2011, three weeks ago, and the Curve was causing more problems than good, especially with a dearth of emails to send and receive regarding publishing. So, off to Verizon we went, Misty and I, she holding my my hand as I complained about 'wanting a phone with a keyboard.'

I was a little shocked at what I found: BlackBerry (produced by RIM) had nearly become a relic. The store offered little in the way of BlackBerrys, (yes, this is the correct pluralization of 'BlackBerry,' unfortunately...) with shiny new Androids and iPhones all gleaming and clamoring for my attention.

As I browsed, I felt overwhelmed. I take pride in keeping up with the latest advances in technology, but somehow, in my BlackBerry haze I had lost touch with the cellular world. I was a lost man in a vastly changed landscape. Luckily I had my wife there to guide me.

I wanted to be able to type efficiently. As an English teacher, I feel badly about typing 'brb' or 'lol' or 'ttyl' or 'k' or 'insert your favorite lame internet acronym.' Words are a way for my to express myself and communicate effectively. Heck, that's my very job each and everyday, teaching kiddos how to write, how to become effective communicators.

Unfortunately, there were only a couple of phones with keyboards. I opted for a Droid 2 Global, which featured a full slideout 'QWERTY' keyboard. We took the phone home happily, and I was shocked at how many things it could do: yes, it could pull emails like my BlackBerry, as well as tether to my laptop, but it could also show full, HD video, and play games in 3D, and 50,000 other wonderful things.

There was a problem, though. (frown.) The happy keyboard, which I NEEDED, kept sliding an inch out while in my pocket, making the phone uncomfortable. Also, the Droid 2 Global was about a year old, meaning apparently it was a dinosaur in the cell phone world, and I couldn't find accessories to keep me from destroying it outright. (I'm tough on things. It's something I've come to accept about myself. This is why my previous Curve was only 30.00, but I paid 50.00 for the Otterbox case to protect it, which it did. Even though it finally crapped out, it was in PERFECT shape!)

So, we did research. Lots of research. I finally decided: I would make the full-fledged leap to the modern era with a touchscreen phone. We returned the Global and got a Droid X 2, which features dual core 1 ghz processors, making it faster than most netbooks. I've been pleasantly surprised at how easy it is to navigate (and yes, even type) with the touchscreen. I still have issues at times, and I cannot type on it as quickly as I ever could with my handy little Curve, but I'm sure with practice I'll be pounding away at the virtual keys in no time.

There's a lesson to be learned in this, somewhere. "Don't let the world pass you by," or "Don't be afraid to experience new things," or something else uplifting and positive, but I'll let you decide. The technology is out there...we need to keep on top of the advances so that SkyNet doesn't become self-aware and launch nukes, build millions of murdering robots, and enslave humankind. Remember, technology is OUR tool. Not the other way around! :)

1 comment: