Visitors welcomes by The Chris West Blog!

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Wednesday Writing...

I found a fascinating fact yesterday while the wifey was watching FoxNews. At the bottom of the screen scroll, the statistic was that 'Romance' ebooks are by far the most popular, according to Amazon, and that New York libraries have reported ebook lending is up 36% this year, with romance being the most popular genre.

This. This is what is popular and flying off shelves. That guy there, holding that girl there. Apparently there's a lot of holding and gazing in romance novels.

So, maybe I'll start writing some romance novels. I had this idea a few weeks ago, and perusing the local selection at my big-box chain department store, I found myself blushing at some of the content in the books. My mother has read romance novels voraciously her entire life, and I called her to ask some info, which further made me blush, as she was very honest about what she enjoyed. To be brief here, she enjoyed historical romances, and nothing more than a PG-13 level of activity, as she felt that hard R activity was gratuitous.

And I kind of agree, wholeheartedly. Let the reader imagine, create in their minds...what's the point of giving them EVERY SINGLE SORDID detail, down to each singular action of the 'romancers' involved? After thumbing through a couple of novels there in the store, I felt like I had accidentally stumbled upon one of 'those' websites and needed to click away!

I want your love and I want your revenge, you and me could write a bad romance....so says Lady Gaga. Maybe Gaga's music will motivate and inspire me to new romantic heights?

There you have it: Summer of Romance! I'll be writing seventeen romance novels this summer, and hopefully, with a clever pen name, people will love to read fantastic adventures with tons of romantic activity.

Maybe I should work on being more romantic with my own wife...I'll call it research! :)

Enjoy the ride! :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment