Visitors welcomes by The Chris West Blog!

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Tuesday's Tidbits

Hola- Welcome to Tuesday's Tidbits at the Casa del Pino Blanco!

[This is the inaugural edition of what should continue to be a weekly blog article series in the previous 'discuss anything and everything' format of my weekly HS newspaper article...enjoy!]

I'd planned to originally talk about other stuff today, like music or movies or something, but I was smacked in the face with an announcement from E3 (at yesterday's Sony press conference) which I didn't discover on any video game sites, but on the bottom news scroll of Good Morning America randomly- the announcement of Sony's 'Vita' handheld system.

Several months ago I found news about the new handheld, watched some online video, but the release wasn't planned for a good while. I tucked the news of it in the back of my mind and went on with life. Sony has decided this holiday season would be a good time to release the new system and announced it, along with the official name for the system, 'Vita,' (as in 'water of life') yesterday.

The Sony Vita, photo courtesy of TechSpot.com.


As of yet I don't know the specs of the device. I'm assuming the Vita is going to be a fairly powerful device by handheld standards, since Sony has announced it will be able to share info and some games and forth between the PS3 and the handheld. A Sony rep displaying the device noted that a Vita user and a PS3 user would be able to play online against one another, or a Vita user could upload created data for games like Little Big Planet, WipEout 2048, and ModNation Racers.

WipEout 2048, image courtesy of Gamespot.com.


There are some very cool implications for this handheld. My beautiful wife could play against me in an online game while she sat in the recliner in the living room watching some Bravo Housewife show as I played against her in the office on the PS3.  OR, a user could very well create a new profile, a new avatar, etc. on the commute to work (hopefully not while driving- I'm thinking carpooling, train, bus, subway), upload it, and then interact with the created data when they get home from work.

It's kinda neat. Will it be a big deal? I dunno yet. The handheld market is sort of dominated by Nintendo at the moment, who has just released the 3DS, a powerful device in its own right, and sales data shows it is moving fairly well.

The biggest issues I foresee are A) consumers in a poor economy looking at forking over $300 for a handheld device from a company who hasn't been tremendously successful in that realm, and B) Nintendo's already substantial handheld footprint. Will 'hardcore' gamers want to take games with them? (Sony caters to the 'hardcore' gamer segment.)

I do have to say, I'm very interested in the Vita. Sony FINALLY listened to user feedback from the PSP and installed TWO analog thumbsticks (a mere four years later...), and the device has a touch panel on the rear, along with a front and rear facing camera.  Could be cool.

So....there are some tidbits for you, this bright, happy Tuesday. Enjoy the ride! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment